Tomorrow is the United Church of Canada's 85th Anniversary. I am SO proud to be a member of this church. Tomorrow during worship we will celebrate Communion and the bread we will eat is bannock, made from locally milled flour from each province in Canada. Isn't that neat? I baked three loaves tonight and it smells great. This week I watched an amazing video recapping 85 years and the amazing things that the church has done. Did you know that....
We were the first church in Canada to ordain women?
We were one of the first churches to openly welcome, ordain and marry gay and lesbian people?
We strive towards seeking justice locally and globally?
We've apologized for our part in the First Nations Residential School abuses?
We are a member of the World Council of Churches?
Of course there is a lot of diversity within each congregation however I think it's pretty incredible to be apart of a church that is generally so open, welcoming and empowered.
Happy Birthday UC!
No comments:
Post a Comment