Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Local Season Begins!

June 1st makes for a perfect day to begin a season of eating locally. I`ve been in the winter rut of eating lately and it`s time to get back on the bandwagon. My two favourite & inspiring books are ``Animal Vegetable Miracle`` by Barbara Kingsolver and ``The 100 Mile Diet`` by Alisa Smith & J.B. MacKinnon. I read them every year. Together they create perspectives and resources from the USA and Canada. A great mix!

The 100 mile diet, if strictly followed, requires participants to eat food that is grown & produced within 100 miles of their home. This includes every ingredient in a product. Exceptions are allowed if we state them in the beginning. So my exceptions are:
1. Any Fair Trade products including coffee, sugar, spices
2. Ethically raised meat and wild seafood or fish.
3. Social Life Amendment (Meal invitations with family & friends)
4. Travel

So today I began. I visited my local farmer`s market and I spent time in my garden.

At the market I found:
cheese
salad greens (a variety of Fraser Valley leaves)
rhubarb
potato's
two tomato plants grown by Kwantlen College`s Horticulture Students

In my garden I picked:
chives
lettuce
basil

No comments:

Post a Comment