Saturday, September 18, 2010

Smoke looms in the air

This week on three different occasions the homeless started fires on the benches outside of our church main entrance. Yesterday we had the police and fire department over to assess the situation and it was declared arson. Building smoke is such a scary smell and it was sitting in the air yesterday causing concern for everybody who dropped by.

Our church has had a rough go lately.

We've had drug addicts shooting up in the back of our property. Windows have been smashed and paint balled with bright green paint and this week my colleague arrived to discover that someone had vomited all over the front pathway. The smell was outrageous.

The good news in this is that occasionally we meet some really neat people with great stories. This week I met a women who grew up in the northern part of the province in a fishing village. She knew a United Church Minister really well because he visited her village by boat. It was the only way that they got visitors. It turns out that I had read a book once about the Thomas Crosby Ministry so I was able to continue the conversation well. The two of us sat and chatted for quite some time. Her situation has changed now and she is living in the city with nine people all struggling to make it financially. I was glad to be able to provide her with a bag of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment